From: Alexander Chekmarev <chekmarev.alex@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:11:42
1 Hello,
2
3 I found so many attempts to improve boot time on various linux distros.
4 There are utils, such as initng, (s)readahead, and bootchart which can be
5 used to improve loading time. And there already attempts on gentoo, like
6 http://www.bootchart.org/samples.html#Gentoo. Jeremy Olexa have tried make
7 something out of this and it looks very impressive.
8 http://blog.jolexa.net/tag/fastboot/
9 I don't know if this project will require a lot of coding, only if some soft
10 is not fully supports gentoo(I am not sure). Thus, this project could be
11 expanded by adding some guide or wizard for users to have complete system
12 tuning(not manually). But in GSoC we have only three month, so I should
13 reduce the work could be done.
14 Bios loading time could be decreased by open bioses replacing
15 proprietary(however, in theory).
16 The project also would require working readahead on gentoo which could take
17 some time. More concrete timeline and results which should appear after
18 three month I will post soon.
21 Best,
22 Alex Chekmarev