From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Adding Portage Features or Wireless Support
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:09:47
1 On 07:44 Mon 21 Mar , Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 03/21/2011 03:21 AM, Colleen Josephson wrote:
3 > > I am potentially interested in the Portage Tags project, or
4 > > something involving improving the wireless support for Gentoo
5 > > installs. Potential expansions to the Portage projects I am
6 > > considering are improving the search speed, and an auto-complete
7 > > similar to Debian's.
8 >
9 > For search speed take a look at app-portage/eix. If auto-completer
10 > means telling what to install to get certain binaries then it's quite
11 > hard to implement because the set of installed files depend on USE
12 > flags and and requires actually building all the packages to get the
13 > list.
14
15 It ought to be fairly easy to build this database on one of the
16 tinderboxes for packages without considering USE flags, and assuming it
17 might be incomplete because you don't build with every USE possibility.
18
19 In fact, I feel like this, or something extremely similar, was done by
20 Sebastian Pipping in GSoC 2009 and has been in "beta" form since. I use
21 quotation marks because I don't know if anyone's worked on it in the
22 past year.
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie
27