From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Portage/Pkgcore/Paludis backend adapter for PackageKit
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:26:12
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Gustavo Serra Scalet
2 <gsscalet@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > What I have to ask is:
4 > - How great shall this backend be (at least for meeting the requirements for
5 > the GSoC program)? What I mean is what set of functions are expected to have
6 > in this new backend until the end of the program?
7
8 How much of it the student can implement is left entirely to the
9 student both as a gauge of his understanding of the demands of the
10 project, as well as his management and evaluation skills. This does
11 not mean that the student who "promises" to get the most done will get
12 selected, rather the student who (no matter how much he intends to do)
13 can provide the best plan (as well as skills to back it up) will have
14 an advantage.
15
16 > I'm beginning to study packagekit and some backends of it so more questions
17 > shall be posted here.
20 I would recommend looking at some of the other python backends and
21 coming up with a skeleton "backend" (or architecture) for portage.
22 This will be most fruitful in understanding PackageKit, and making a
23 time-work-skill analysis.
26 ~Nirbheek Chauhan