From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Gentoo stats server/client,
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:43:57
1 On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM, ivailo ilionov
2 <ivailo.ilionov@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Any implementation is fine really.
4 >>
5 >> There have been many stats projects in the past that have failed due to
6 >> various reasons. A simple question is: How are you planning on making
7 >> your idea/proposal not fail? ;)
8 >
9 > As Dylan Hunt would say: "By making it right : )" ( with the smile ).
10 >
11 > __
12 >
13 > The simple answer :
14 >
15 > The server:
16 > - will wait for clients to send information about the system
17
18 How will the clients talk to the server?
19 - Rest?
20 - XMLRPC?
21 - Something else?
22
23 > - will tell about the statistics they want
24
25 do you plan to offer a webUI or just an API?
26
27 > - will print an overall statistic if nothing specified
28 > - register clients, the registration will be optionally set with an
29 > expire value, or by default
30 > one month ( the expiration timer is reseted on every update by the client )
31
32 How will you authenticate clients? How will you protect sensitive data?
33 What if one client has hundreds of machines, will your client auth be
34 'per host'?
35 What about third party clients?
36 What about clients that upload fake data?
37 - will your client sign the data with a privkey so fake data is
38 harder to upload?
39 - if so, how often will you rotate keys?
42 > The client ( a daemon on the client machine ):
43
44 rationale for daemon vs cronjob?
45
46 > - periodically will check different kind of interesting things
47 > - in cases of device checks, the daemon will check on start up, as
48 > it is added as init
49 > script to default level
50 > - arch - again on start up
51 > - in case of installed packages, the daemon will check them
52 > periodically. default will be
53 > one week or user defined ( no more than the defined expiration
54 > date by the server )
55 > - will choose, from a list of activated modules, what information to send
56
57 I'd like to see some examples of modules and then some plan on what
58 order you think you will implement them.
59 A daemon with 2 working modules is better than a daemon with 10 half
60 finished ones. We can always get people to add more later. How will
61 the modules work?
64 > Optional:
65 > - GUI interface to configure the daemon on the client machine using GTK.
66
67 Lets call this a stretch goal eh ;)
70 > __
71 >
72 > I don't have anything specific in mind for the server configuration,
73 > but it could be via a
74 > simple text file.
75 >
76 > I have been exposed to the MVC idea, so of course I intend to separate
77 > logic, presentation,
78 > and storage of information.
79 >
80 > __
81 >
82 > Some information about me:
83 >
84 > I'm from Bulgaria ( GMT+2 ). First year in Informatics at an
85 > university. I'm using gentoo
86 > since 2007 and of course I intend to continue using it : )
87 > I have experience with Perl and C/C++ ( I still haven't read the
88 > second vol of Thinking in C++, but I feel ready for it ).
89 >
90 > No experience with open source/ and free/ projects.
91 >
92 > Ah, my name is ( by id card ) Ivaylo Ilionov and I'm 21 years old : )
93 >
94 > Any questions or suggestions are welcomed. If I annoyed you with
95 > something - sorry.