From: ivailo ilionov <ivailo.ilionov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Gentoo stats server/client,
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:21:20
1 > Any implementation is fine really.
2 >
3 > There have been many stats projects in the past that have failed due to
4 > various reasons. A simple question is: How are you planning on making
5 > your idea/proposal not fail? ;)
6
7 As Dylan Hunt would say: "By making it right : )" ( with the smile ).
8
9 __
10
11 The simple answer :
12
13 The server:
14 - will wait for clients to send information about the system
15 - will tell about the statistics they want
16 - will print an overall statistic if nothing specified
17 - register clients, the registration will be optionally set with an
18 expire value, or by default
19 one month ( the expiration timer is reseted on every update by the client )
20
21 The client ( a daemon on the client machine ):
22 - periodically will check different kind of interesting things
23 - in cases of device checks, the daemon will check on start up, as
24 it is added as init
25 script to default level
26 - arch - again on start up
27 - in case of installed packages, the daemon will check them
28 periodically. default will be
29 one week or user defined ( no more than the defined expiration
30 date by the server )
31 - will choose, from a list of activated modules, what information to send
32
33 Optional:
34 - GUI interface to configure the daemon on the client machine using GTK.
35
36 __
37
38 I don't have anything specific in mind for the server configuration,
39 but it could be via a
40 simple text file.
41
42 I have been exposed to the MVC idea, so of course I intend to separate
43 logic, presentation,
44 and storage of information.
45
46 __
47
48 Some information about me:
49
50 I'm from Bulgaria ( GMT+2 ). First year in Informatics at an
51 university. I'm using gentoo
52 since 2007 and of course I intend to continue using it : )
53 I have experience with Perl and C/C++ ( I still haven't read the
54 second vol of Thinking in C++, but I feel ready for it ).
55
56 No experience with open source/ and free/ projects.
57
58 Ah, my name is ( by id card ) Ivaylo Ilionov and I'm 21 years old : )
59
60 Any questions or suggestions are welcomed. If I annoyed you with
61 something - sorry.