From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Portage Webinterface
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:59:47
1 On 12:42 Wed 23 Mar , Alexander Sulfrian wrote:
2 > Maybe you know web based software management solutions from various
3 > enterprise Linux distributions (I remember, that at least RedHat have
4 > such thing):
5 >
6 > Based on an python api for portage and some way to issue the api calls
7 > over network (ssh, xmlrpc, maybe google-protobuf or other), it would
8 > be possible to create a web based interface, where you can add clients
9 > and install/update packages, view logs, changes portage settings or
10 > merge configuration files. With that it would be easier to manage a
11 > large Gentoo-based server farm. Additionally it would be possibly to
12 > create a simple cli to control all registered clients.
13 >
14 > What do you think?
15
16 Yes, this would be awesome. Take a look at the Gentoo Enterprise
17 Management System (GEMS) [1] and Systems Configuration, Installation,
18 and Replication Environment (SCIRE) [2] and please explain:
19
20 - How they fail to meet these needs
21 - Whether you should enhance one of them or start a new project from scratch
22 - Why you made the choice above
23
24 I strongly recommend that you consider enhancing existing code based on
25 the new existence of Portage APIs, even if the code has been in
26 hibernation for a while.
29 1. http://sourceforge.net/projects/gentoo-ems/
30 2. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/scire/
33 Thanks,