From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Plan 9 From Gentoo: Weekly Status Report #7
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:42:38
1 On 11:22 Sun 10 Jul , Robert Seaton wrote:
2 > For the rest of the week, I focused on adding the finishing touches to
3 > Plan 9 From Gentoo. It's now in a fairly usable state, the only
4 > remaining thing to be done is to get Portage up and running on the
5 > liveCD, as that was a feature mentioned by someone during my original
6 > proposal and something that I assume the community would be interested
7 > in having. I now have an introductory message on startup that
8 > introduces new users to some of the userspace paradigms introduced by
9 > Plan 9 (i.e. actually "drawing" a window on the screen) and, further,
10 > the message points them to a number of resources where they can learn
11 > more about the components shipped by Plan 9 From Gentoo.
12
13 Nice work, Robert.
14
15 > After this was accomplished, I began porting the Glendix patches to
16 > the latest git kernel. I have everything in a build-able state, but it
17 > still needs to be tested. In hindsight, I should have ported my
18 > patches to the latest Gentoo kernel instead of the git release, as the
19 > git kernels use a different style of ebuild and, which I found out in
20 > testing a newly generated liveCD image with a git kernel, fail to
21 > build correctly with Catalyst. Tomorrow, I will rebase my rebased
22 > patches to a different release kernel (2.6.39.2 probably). Hopefully,
23 > the patches will not exhibit any run time failures and I will be
24 > sitting pretty. Rebasing the patches should not take long, but --
25 > should there be run time failures -- debugging may take a day or two.
26
27 Might be an easier backport if you make a local
28 vanilla-sources-3.0-rc7.ebuild.
29
30 > Once Glendix has been forward ported to a more recent kernel, I will
31 > begin porting more syscalls from Plan 9 to the Linux kernel with the
32 > goal of getting the native Plan 9 version of the sam editor running on
33 > top of the Linux kernel and shipping with Plan 9 From Gentoo. I am
34 > still waiting for Anant to get back to me with some more information
35 > on porting the syscalls and how to move forward.
36
37 The idea here is to get all the native p9 apps running under a Linux kernel?
38
39 What's your plan for getting patches upstreamed? We do have a few kernel
40 devs, so I recommend getting in touch with some of them to work on
41 integrating things into Linus's tree.
42
43 > If he has still not gotten back to me by the time I am ready to begin
44 > work, I will once again poke Robin about setting up a project page for
45 > Plan 9 From Gentoo
46
47 Seems like something that might make sense in
48 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/ — do you agree?
51 Thanks,
52 Donnie
53