From: Robert Seaton <seatonr@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Plan 9 From Gentoo: Weekly Status Report #7
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:38:18
1 >> For the rest of the week, I focused on adding the finishing touches to
2 >> Plan 9 From Gentoo. It's now in a fairly usable state, the only
3 >> remaining thing to be done is to get Portage up and running on the
4 >> liveCD, as that was a feature mentioned by someone during my original
5 >> proposal and something that I assume the community would be interested
6 >> in having. I now have an introductory message on startup that
7 >> introduces new users to some of the userspace paradigms introduced by
8 >> Plan 9 (i.e. actually "drawing" a window on the screen) and, further,
9 >> the message points them to a number of resources where they can learn
10 >> more about the components shipped by Plan 9 From Gentoo.
11 >
12 > Nice work, Robert.
13
14 Thanks!
15
16 >> Once Glendix has been forward ported to a more recent kernel, I will
17 >> begin porting more syscalls from Plan 9 to the Linux kernel with the
18 >> goal of getting the native Plan 9 version of the sam editor running on
19 >> top of the Linux kernel and shipping with Plan 9 From Gentoo. I am
20 >> still waiting for Anant to get back to me with some more information
21 >> on porting the syscalls and how to move forward.
22 >
23 > The idea here is to get all the native p9 apps running under a Linux kernel?
24
25 That's the eventual goal, but getting everything working will probably
26 take more work and time than the scope of my GSoC project. At any
27 rate, I intend to port as many Plan 9 syscalls as I can.
28
29 > What's your plan for getting patches upstreamed? We do have a few kernel
30 > devs, so I recommend getting in touch with some of them to work on
31 > integrating things into Linus's tree.
32
33 I'd be happy to talk to any kernel devs about what it would take to
34 get things merged upstream. Right now, I'm not sure if the project is
35 mature enough that it makes sense to merge things at right this
36 second, but it certainly would be a good idea in the future. Do you
37 have any developers in mind that I should get in contact with? At the
38 very least, I can make sure that I'm taking the right approach and, at
39 best, start work on getting things merged into mainline.
40
41 >> If he has still not gotten back to me by the time I am ready to begin
42 >> work, I will once again poke Robin about setting up a project page for
43 >> Plan 9 From Gentoo
44 >
45 > Seems like something that might make sense in
46 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/ — do you agree?
47
48 Yup, looks like a perfect fit for Plan 9 From Gentoo.
49
50 Cheers,
51 rps