From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:12:25
1 On 19:47 Fri 27 Mar , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 12:48 Fri 27 Mar , Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Andrey Kislyuk <weaver@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > I think the current fast boot focus on the various distros is horribly
5 > > > misplaced. I couldn't care less whether my machines boot in 30 seconds
6 > > > or 2 minutes. What I _really_ care about is that when I press the
7 > > > button on my laptop, it wakes up from sleep in 2 seconds or less.
8 > > > Linux is pretty bad at this. It's generally much worse than Windows,
9 > > > which is in turn much worse than OS X.
10 > > >
11 > > > So, if you really wish to make a difference in an area that others
12 > > > haven't dealt with as much, try improving wake from sleep or hibernate
13 > > > performance.
14 > >
15 > > Different strokes for different folks, right? I never put my laptop to
16 > > sleep so getting a fast boot time is important to me.
17 > >
18 > > What are some of your ideas for improving wake from sleep times? It
19 > > would help those that have no idea where to even start on that topic
20 > > as it is not as intuitive as fast boot times.
21 >
22 > The EeePC folks spent a lot of time on this. That's a good place to
23 > start your research.
24
25 Sorry, I meant OLPC!
28 Thanks,