From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:47:47
1 On 12:48 Fri 27 Mar , Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Andrey Kislyuk <weaver@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I think the current fast boot focus on the various distros is horribly
4 > > misplaced. I couldn't care less whether my machines boot in 30 seconds
5 > > or 2 minutes. What I _really_ care about is that when I press the
6 > > button on my laptop, it wakes up from sleep in 2 seconds or less.
7 > > Linux is pretty bad at this. It's generally much worse than Windows,
8 > > which is in turn much worse than OS X.
9 > >
10 > > So, if you really wish to make a difference in an area that others
11 > > haven't dealt with as much, try improving wake from sleep or hibernate
12 > > performance.
13 >
14 > Different strokes for different folks, right? I never put my laptop to
15 > sleep so getting a fast boot time is important to me.
16 >
17 > What are some of your ideas for improving wake from sleep times? It
18 > would help those that have no idea where to even start on that topic
19 > as it is not as intuitive as fast boot times.
20
21 The EeePC folks spent a lot of time on this. That's a good place to
22 start your research.
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie
27