From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo/Java projects
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:42:37
1 mephx wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 >> java-config (and javatoolkit) does a lot more than just switch between
4 >> JDKs. Our XML rewriting is currently under the javatoolkit package but
5 >> it would also need to be converted to c++ if we wanted to drop python.
6 >> The JDK switching user interface can of course be left solely to the
7 >> more general tool but I don't know if java-config --classpath for
8 >> example makes sense there.
9 >>
10 >> Regards,
11 >> Petteri
15 > We're looking in the same way then. Every xyz-config (basic profile
16 > options) relies on the same "profile switching" principles so why not
17 > unite? java-config has both per-user settings and system settings for
18 > basic profile options, vm, jdk, etc... Those simpler and most-used
19 > options could be done as a "module" for an universal tool. Keep in
20 > mind that java-config is just beeing used as an example, "I mean you
21 > no harm" :). I would like to hear the opinion of developers of such
22 > xyz-config utilities regarding the creation of a modular easy way to
23 > unite so that a general utility can be created to create better gentoo
24 > usability. I would be glad to hear from developers of such utilities
25 > so that I can do a proper and specific proposal to this years SoC.
26 > I'll stop "spamming" Java's Project Thread. We should discuss this
27 > further in the Universal Select Tool thread. Thank you.
28 >
29 > Cheers,
30 > Sérgio
33 You should also note that the java-config provided eselect module has
34 been our preferred UI for quite a while.
35
36 Regards,
37 Petteri