From: mephx <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo/Java projects
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 21:15:24
1 On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > java-config (and javatoolkit) does a lot more than just switch between
4 > JDKs. Our XML rewriting is currently under the javatoolkit package but
5 > it would also need to be converted to c++ if we wanted to drop python.
6 > The JDK switching user interface can of course be left solely to the
7 > more general tool but I don't know if java-config --classpath for
8 > example makes sense there.
9 >
10 > Regards,
11 > Petteri
15 We're looking in the same way then. Every xyz-config (basic profile
16 options) relies on the same "profile switching" principles so why not
17 unite? java-config has both per-user settings and system settings for
18 basic profile options, vm, jdk, etc... Those simpler and most-used
19 options could be done as a "module" for an universal tool. Keep in
20 mind that java-config is just beeing used as an example, "I mean you
21 no harm" :). I would like to hear the opinion of developers of such
22 xyz-config utilities regarding the creation of a modular easy way to
23 unite so that a general utility can be created to create better gentoo
24 usability. I would be glad to hear from developers of such utilities
25 so that I can do a proper and specific proposal to this years SoC.
26 I'll stop "spamming" Java's Project Thread. We should discuss this
27 further in the Universal Select Tool thread. Thank you.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Sérgio