From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo/Java projects
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:22:33
1 mephx wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Caleb Cushing wrote:
4 >>>> 3. Redesigning java-config in C++
5 >>>> * It needs a rewrite any way and with paludis in C++ every Gentoo
6 >>>> system doesn't need python any more.
7 >>> correct this to, rewrite in C, so it doesn't take half as long to
8 >>> compile, and so it's faster. or if someone really wants to, just let
9 >>> them pick one of the 2.
10 >>>
11 >> A student can of course try to convince me why it should be done in C
12 >> but it's not his/her choice. This project will not be accepted as done
13 >> unless but into production use so if the student disappears afterwards,
14 >> we are the ones ending up maintaining it. It's not a big project so
15 >> compile time is not an issue and java-config does not need to be
16 >> lightning fast.
17 >>
18 >> Regards,
19 >> Petteri
22 > Hello,
23 >
24 > I am proposing as a student to create a new util based on the
25 > "universal select tool" wiki idea. My idea would be to create a tool
26 > to be used instead of java-config, ruby-config, binutils-config,
27 > gcc-config, xyz-config. What does java-config have so that a more
28 > general utility can't manage the java environment?
29 >
30 > Cheers,
31 > Sérgio
34 java-config (and javatoolkit) does a lot more than just switch between
35 JDKs. Our XML rewriting is currently under the javatoolkit package but
36 it would also need to be converted to c++ if we wanted to drop python.
37 The JDK switching user interface can of course be left solely to the
38 more general tool but I don't know if java-config --classpath for
39 example makes sense there.
40
41 Regards,
42 Petteri