From: mephx <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo/Java projects
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:38:32
1 On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Caleb Cushing wrote:
4 > >> 3. Redesigning java-config in C++
5 > >>  * It needs a rewrite any way and with paludis in C++ every Gentoo
6 > >>   system doesn't need python any more.
7 > >
8 > > correct this to, rewrite in C, so it doesn't take half as long to
9 > > compile, and so it's faster. or if someone really wants to, just let
10 > > them pick one of the 2.
13 > A student can of course try to convince me why it should be done in C
14 > but it's not his/her choice. This project will not be accepted as done
15 > unless but into production use so if the student disappears afterwards,
16 > we are the ones ending up maintaining it. It's not a big project so
17 > compile time is not an issue and java-config does not need to be
18 > lightning fast.
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 > Petteri
24 Hello,
25
26 I am proposing as a student to create a new util based on the
27 "universal select tool" wiki idea. My idea would be to create a tool
28 to be used instead of java-config, ruby-config, binutils-config,
29 gcc-config, xyz-config. What does java-config have so that a more
30 general utility can't manage the java environment?
31
32 Cheers,
33 Sérgio