From: Gaurish Sharma <contact@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: [GSOC 2012] Recruiting Webapp idea
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 18:10:41
2 > twitter bootstrap is a nice toolkit. It's nice if we get a working
3 > mobile interface on the side but our primary target is ordinary desktop.
4 > I don't think people want to fill their quizzes with phones. Of course
5 > we can do a poll as I am just using my unverified assumptions here.
6 -->
7 Alright, Then Desktop broswers only. And which ones?
8
9 1. Google Chrome
10 2. Firefox
11 3. Safari
12
13 any others?
16 > You can write reversible migrations with the current version already.
17 > The new feature in rails 3.1 is that it can automatically deduce the
18 > down migration from the up migration in most cases.
19 -->
20 yes, reversible migrations. they are pretty cool!
21
22 >> 2) It is not core rails.
23 >
24 > Why is this a problem? Most rails projects end up using other gems than
25 > just rails. Hobo of course is more invasive than than most plugins so
26 > the learning curve must be weighed against potential benefits.
27 -->
28 to it means, we are not using rails. we are using hobo. not that I
29 am saying that using hobo is wrong, its just that we get stuck on out
30 & getting latest updates specially security relates is a problem. Say
31 for example, a issue vulnerability similar to ActiveRecord's mass
32 assignment vulnerability & security patch is available. We won't be
33 able to upgrade without breaking the site.
34
35 >> 3) Hobo is good for protying but for apps that are required to go into
36 >> production like recruiting app, traditional development model is
37 >> preffered
40 > There are multiple hobo applications in production. I agree that Hobo is
41 > not perfect. We can migrate away to plain rails but my hunch is that it
42 > would take too much time for too little benefit.
43 -->
44 In this case, your hunch is correct but in return we get access to
45 regular updates. so I think that's a huge benefit from security
46 standpoint.
50 >> machinery for comparing answers for copies
51 -->
52
53 Comparing answers with each other? or search the internet for
54 duplicates aka copyscape?
55
56 > - meeting bot integration (similarly to the council web app from last year)
57 -->
58
59 I do not understand this. Can you please explain this in bit details
60
61 > These are all of lesser priority than what we have in bugzilla and UX.
62 -->
63 Makes sense
67 --Gaurish