From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: [GSOC 2012] Recruiting Webapp idea
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:09:06
1 On 05.04.2012 23:08, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Kindly read the replies inline:
6 Where else? :) In Gentoo mailing lists every should be responding inline.
10 > On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
11 >> On 04.04.2012 21:18, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
14 >>> b) the User interface is old, dated & just boring. We need a fresh theme.
15 >>
16 >> CSS work is nice as long as we don't spend too much time on it.
17 >> Usability is more important than looking good. In some situations they
18 >> of course go hand in hand.
19 > -->
20 >
21 > I suggest that we switch to responsive design based on twitter
22 > bootstrap[1], so that webapp is accessible from all mobile,tablets &
23 > desktop browsers[1]. The toolkit has pretty good styling & is usable
24 > by default, however. I would customize according our needs.
27 twitter bootstrap is a nice toolkit. It's nice if we get a working
28 mobile interface on the side but our primary target is ordinary desktop.
29 I don't think people want to fill their quizzes with phones. Of course
30 we can do a poll as I am just using my unverified assumptions here.
31
32 >> The hobo plugin we used currently only has a stable release out for
33 >> rails 3.0. There does seem to be work going for 3.1 so we could target
34 >> that instead after checking the hobo timetable for getting 1.4 out
35 >> (which is needed for rails 3.1).
36 > --->
37 >
38 > v3.0 vs v3.1 -- There are a few backwards-incompatible changes in
39 > Rails 3.1 which affect the future upgrade path if we choose to develop
40 > in 3.0 only. rincipal among these are a new convention for the
41 > placement of images, stylesheets, and JavaScript files—collectively
42 > known as assets—and a change in the default JavaScript library from
43 > Prototype to jQuery. Further, 3.1 has cool features like Asset
44 > pipeline,Reversible migrations which we would miss out we stick with
45 > 3.0.
48 You can write reversible migrations with the current version already.
49 The new feature in rails 3.1 is that it can automatically deduce the
50 down migration from the up migration in most cases.
51
52 > However,
53 > With every new Rails release, there is a time delay while the rest of
54 > the ecosystem catches up. Now, hebo severely lagging behind. so I
55 > propose, we dump hobo & we writte the app as per the requirement while
56 > importing existing data on latest version of rails.
57 >
58 > The reason I want to dump hobo is:
59 > 1) it is lagging behind in support for latest releases
60
61 The lag in getting new releases is certainly annoying.
62
63 > 2) It is not core rails.
64
65 Why is this a problem? Most rails projects end up using other gems than
66 just rails. Hobo of course is more invasive than than most plugins so
67 the learning curve must be weighed against potential benefits.
68
69 > 3) Hobo is good for protying but for apps that are required to go into
70 > production like recruiting app, traditional development model is
71 > preffered
74 There are multiple hobo applications in production. I agree that Hobo is
75 not perfect. We can migrate away to plain rails but my hunch is that it
76 would take too much time for too little benefit.
77
78 > I hope this makes sense.
83 >> You should scope the draft proposal so that you yourself think there's
84 >> enough work to fill the whole GSoC for you. If think the items listed so
85 >> far are not enough for that feel free to ask for more ideas.
86 > -->
87 >
88 > Sure, please let know what more than I can do
91 Here's a couple things I can think of:
92 - integrate with Gentoo LDAP. I think there was a project last year that
93 was allowed to do that so we can probably too.
94 - machinery for comparing answers for copies
95 - meeting bot integration (similarly to the council web app from last year)
96
97 These are all of lesser priority than what we have in bugzilla and UX.
98
99 Regards,
100 Petteri