From: Gaurish Sharma <contact@×××××××××××××.com>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Joachim Bartosik <jbartosik@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: [GSOC 2012] Recruiting Webapp idea
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 21:07:57
1 Hi,
2 Kindly read the replies inline:
6 On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
7 > On 04.04.2012 21:18, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
10 >> b) the User interface is old, dated & just boring. We need a fresh theme.
11 >
12 > CSS work is nice as long as we don't spend too much time on it.
13 > Usability is more important than looking good. In some situations they
14 > of course go hand in hand.
15 -->
16
17 I suggest that we switch to responsive design based on twitter
18 bootstrap[1], so that webapp is accessible from all mobile,tablets &
19 desktop browsers[1]. The toolkit has pretty good styling & is usable
20 by default, however. I would customize according our needs.
23 >> 2) updating to Rails 3.0:
24 >> Sure, I can do it. Why not update to latest version of rails v3.2.3,
25 >> any specific reason to stick with 3.0?
28 > The hobo plugin we used currently only has a stable release out for
29 > rails 3.0. There does seem to be work going for 3.1 so we could target
30 > that instead after checking the hobo timetable for getting 1.4 out
31 > (which is needed for rails 3.1).
32 --->
33
34 v3.0 vs v3.1 -- There are a few backwards-incompatible changes in
35 Rails 3.1 which affect the future upgrade path if we choose to develop
36 in 3.0 only. rincipal among these are a new convention for the
37 placement of images, stylesheets, and JavaScript files—collectively
38 known as assets—and a change in the default JavaScript library from
39 Prototype to jQuery. Further, 3.1 has cool features like Asset
40 pipeline,Reversible migrations which we would miss out we stick with
41 3.0.
42
43 However,
44 With every new Rails release, there is a time delay while the rest of
45 the ecosystem catches up. Now, hebo severely lagging behind. so I
46 propose, we dump hobo & we writte the app as per the requirement while
47 importing existing data on latest version of rails.
48
49 The reason I want to dump hobo is:
50 1) it is lagging behind in support for latest releases
51 2) It is not core rails.
52 3) Hobo is good for protying but for apps that are required to go into
53 production like recruiting app, traditional development model is
54 preffered
55
56 I hope this makes sense.
61 > You should scope the draft proposal so that you yourself think there's
62 > enough work to fill the whole GSoC for you. If think the items listed so
63 > far are not enough for that feel free to ask for more ideas.
64 -->
65
66 Sure, please let know what more than I can do
69 --Gaurish Sharma
72 [1] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/