From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project proposal - quick package installer
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:03:51
1 On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Ravi Pinjala <ravi@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > One of my occasional frustrations with Gentoo is that it's more
3 > difficult than it needs to be to install a package from a tarball, and
4 > still have its files tracked by a package manager. The simplest thing
5 > I've found to do is to create an ebuild in my personal overlay and use
6 > that, but not everybody wants/needs to learn how to write ebuilds.
7 >
8 > My project idea is a tool to allow users to quickly install packages
9 > from tarballs, or other sources, and have the installed files tracked by
10 > their package manager. Ideally, it should be no more difficult than the
11 > usual "./configure; make; make install" sequence that we're all used to.
12
13 ebuild with blank src_unpack, blank src_compile, src_install that
14 unpacks the tarball into $D
15
16 config files and whatnot are difficult.
19 > One obvious issue with this is dependencies; if packages installed using
20 > this method can be used as dependencies of other packages, it makes it a
21 > lot easier for users to do strange things to their systems. My initial
22 > instinct is to say that packages installed by this method will be
23 > excluded from dependency calculations somehow, but I also think the
24 > option should be there somewhere.
27 I don't see how its much different than using any other binary package.
28
29 > Questions/comments/suggestions? Is this actually a terrible idea, for
30 > reasons I haven't thought of yet? :)
31 >
32 > --Ravi