From: Ravi Pinjala <ravi@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Project proposal - quick package installer
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 03:39:14
1 One of my occasional frustrations with Gentoo is that it's more
2 difficult than it needs to be to install a package from a tarball, and
3 still have its files tracked by a package manager. The simplest thing
4 I've found to do is to create an ebuild in my personal overlay and use
5 that, but not everybody wants/needs to learn how to write ebuilds.
6
7 My project idea is a tool to allow users to quickly install packages
8 from tarballs, or other sources, and have the installed files tracked by
9 their package manager. Ideally, it should be no more difficult than the
10 usual "./configure; make; make install" sequence that we're all used to.
11
12 One obvious issue with this is dependencies; if packages installed using
13 this method can be used as dependencies of other packages, it makes it a
14 lot easier for users to do strange things to their systems. My initial
15 instinct is to say that packages installed by this method will be
16 excluded from dependency calculations somehow, but I also think the
17 option should be there somewhere.
18
19 Questions/comments/suggestions? Is this actually a terrible idea, for
20 reasons I haven't thought of yet? :)
21
22 --Ravi