From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - Package statistics
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:49:59
1 On 23:30 Tue 22 Mar , Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 01:09 +0100, Michael Seifert wrote:
3 > > I agree that a web-based querying tool/platform would be important.
4
5 I don't think it's critical to the project at all, for it to be useful
6 to Gentoo developers. As a dev myself, I typically avoid things that
7 require me to go to websites because it just takes longer. I use CLI
8 interfaces to bugzilla, I read mailing lists and use text editors in a
9 terminal, etc.
10
11 I'd like a simple CLI tool that just goes and grabs me the info about a
12 given package, or shows me overall rankings for certain sets of packages
13 (depending on specified queries). Perhaps a web-service (using REST or
14 SOAP) would be more interesting to implement than an actual UI. Then
15 anyone could tack a web-based UI on later.
16
17 Sure, a webapp might be nice for users, and perhaps for a few devs, but
18 you could definitely propose a complete project without it.
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie
23
24 Donnie Berkholz