From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - Package statistics
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 06:30:27
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 01:09 +0100, Michael Seifert wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > I agree that a web-based querying tool/platform would be important. But,
6 > to be honest, this is not exactly what I was hoping to do, when I read
7 > the project idea. Mainly because it is not what I am looking for and
8 > secondly because I am not very much into web development myself (except
9 > for some small zope projects). Anyway, it is good to discuss things now
10 > better than late.
11
12 Yes, that is exactly what this time period is for.
13
14 > Sorry, if I caused any inconvenience.
15
16 No, no inconvenience. If I have stomped on your toes, I did not mean
17 to, If you have other ideas about this project, by all means get them
18 out. :)
21 > Be sure, however, that I will ask some more questions on another topic,
22 > if you don't mind. :)
23
24 We look forward to it.
28 > For the thouroughness of the discussion and out of personal interest:
29 > The webapp should most likely integrate nicely on the gentoo website.
30 > What CMS does gentoo.org use and what CMS would you suggest to an applicant?
31
32 Well, as I've stated, I don't have experience in developing webapps, so
33 I can't recommend anything to you. I think this type of info would be
34 used most by devs. While users may use it, I think the primary goal is
35 to collect data to help the devs decide where to put more of their
36 efforts, and help streamline the stabilization process. For the most
37 part the gentoo sites use guide xml, which is a custom xslt
38 transformation... I don't think this type of tool would fit well with
39 the semi static nature of gentoo's web pages using guide xml. Also this
40 data would most likely be on a different server than the gentoo.org
41 site.
44 I suggested a webapp as means of primary interaction because it is
45 easily run in a browser, so no special software needs to be installed.
46 It is just the one one program. That opens it up to all users.
47
48 But a gui could be developed to get the data from the database and
49 display the reports, graphs, etc.. be it gtk , kde/Qt, or whatever.
50 That's where the powers that be need to chime in with their comments and
51 thoughts of the direction they would like to see it take.
54 All my comments are my own and not to be considered as absolute (my way
55 or the highway ;).
58 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>