From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [SOC Ebuild generator project] Introduction and C&C
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 02:04:32
1 On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 20:27 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 16:56 Mon 21 Mar , Brian Dolbec wrote:
3 > > There is an app called shogun-toolbox http://www.shogun-toolbox.org/
4 > >
5 > > that is designed specifically for machine learning. It has many
6 > > interface capabilities including python (which they state has the most
7 > > complete documentation). There is also many examples for it's use.
8 > >
9 > > I personally don't know nearly enough about it to know what modeling
10 > > methods might be suitable or even if there is one suitable for this
11 > > type of model. But I think should be investigated. Implemented this
12 > > would have the potential to increase it's success rate over time,
13 > > reducing developer load even more.
14 >
15 > This sounds like something that might be beyond a GSoC project to
16 > develop a standalone code base. It would probably work better next year
17 > as an enhancement, if this year's project to build an initial working
18 > application worked out well.
19
20 Absolutely. But I wanted to get the thought out there. Then maybe this
21 years code could be designed to be easier to upgrade it's AI next year.
25 > What I would do instead is a "smart" detection using things like
26 > flex/bison/pybison. You could first detect the buildsystem type
27 > (autotools/cmake/distutils/etc) based on file existence. Then you would
28 > parse the build files using the syntax described for your lexical
29 > analyzer/parser to build a basic understanding of what build-time
30 > options are available and offer them as USE flags. You could also do
31 > similar things to detect dependencies by understanding their syntax in
32 > the source code.
35 Yes there are several areas that a machine learning system could be
36 beneficial in this whole process. Some of which are listed as other
37 project ideas this year.
40 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>