From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:38:30
1 Am Montag 30 März 2009 13:38:23 schrieb Philipp Riegger:
2 > There is no p2p stuff in here since I don't believe in it. I see 1 way
3 > to make this work: Create a p2p network of only gentoo developers (ok,
4 > maybe arch testers), make them sign the packages using gpg. Other
5 > people can only mirror packages, not add new ones.
6
7 Or add another group of trusted builders, who sign their packages with GnuPG.
8
9 You need trustworthy people, but the level of required ability is far lower
10 than for testers or developers, since people just need to be trustworthy not
11 to tamper with their binpackages - and those get built automatically by
12 portage.
13
14 For convenience it would be great, if people could tellportage their builder-
15 ID and have portage upload generated packages automatically.
16
17 That way we'd avoid building any package with teh same configuration twice.
18
19 For this it's unimportant how people get the packages - they can be in a
20 central server, served via BitTorrent or distributed via a really distributed
21 network.
22
23 With USE Hash and Host SLOT (and a way to identify binary compatible versions)
24 all requirements for possible p2p distribution would be fulfilled.
25
26 Besides: One advantage of the Hash over all active USE flags as opposed to a
27 bitvector of all USE flags is that this Hash will be the same for all packages
28 with the same active USE flags, so there will be a lower number of distinct
29 USE hashes. That way they can more easily be used to query for packages
30 (that's a possible optimization for p2p: search by package name + version +
31 USE hash + Host SLOT).
32
33 Best wishes,
34 Arne