From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:37:15
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:38:22 +0200
2 Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Am Montag 30 März 2009 13:38:23 schrieb Philipp Riegger:
5 > > There is no p2p stuff in here since I don't believe in it. I see 1
6 > > way to make this work: Create a p2p network of only gentoo
7 > > developers (ok, maybe arch testers), make them sign the packages
8 > > using gpg. Other people can only mirror packages, not add new ones.
9 >
10 > Or add another group of trusted builders, who sign their packages
11 > with GnuPG.
12
13 And how will you find and identify trustworthy people?
14
15 > You need trustworthy people, but the level of required ability is far
16 > lower than for testers or developers, since people just need to be
17 > trustworthy not to tamper with their binpackages - and those get
18 > built automatically by portage.
19
20 I agree, ability is not so important here. But what should stop me from
21 creating a binary package of openssh and add a master passwort into the
22 binary, as a backdoor from the system? Now you can save checksums of
23 source packages, if you like, but you can never make it impossible for
24 me not to fake everything. That's why you cannot trust my signature.
25 But how will you know that?
26
27 > For convenience it would be great, if people could tellportage their
28 > builder- ID and have portage upload generated packages automatically.
29
30 Are you crazy? That would lead to hundreds od users uploading the same
31 package with a different signature, because no one can trust the
32 other.
33
34 > That way we'd avoid building any package with teh same configuration
35 > twice.
36
37 So if my package with the backdoor gets uploaded first, I win?
38
39 > With USE Hash and Host SLOT (and a way to identify binary compatible
40 > versions) all requirements for possible p2p distribution would be
41 > fulfilled.
42
43 This is totally unimportant. Sure, technically it can be done, but you
44 can never make it secure without really checking who is allowed to
45 upload packages or using centrally managed servers. And in the first
46 case you get much too much overhead.
47
48 > Besides: One advantage of the Hash over all active USE flags as
49 > opposed to a bitvector of all USE flags is that this Hash will be the
50 > same for all packages with the same active USE flags, so there will
51 > be a lower number of distinct USE hashes. That way they can more
52 > easily be used to query for packages (that's a possible optimization
53 > for p2p: search by package name + version + USE hash + Host SLOT).
54
55 That is wrong. The function creating the packed binary vector is
56 nothing but a reversible hash function. You take the activated
57 USE-flags and the package name and version and get the "hash", you take
58 package name and version and the "hash and get the activated
59 USE-flags. Just because it does not have a fixed length and is not
60 called CRC32, md5 or whatever does not stop it from beeing a hash.
61
62 There is exactly one problem I know of with my approach, which I
63 already mentioned but no one seems to be interested in: It needs a
64 fixed set of USE-flags per package name and version, or it needs to be
65 extended/it can become ambiguous. But this is just a policy that can be
66 enforced if people see the benefit.
67
68 Philipp