From: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:56:29
1 On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > And how will you find and identify trustworthy people?
3
4 I'm going to to cover trust just once.
5
6 people who are already verified as being members of the gentoo
7 organization. e.g. have an @gentoo.org email.
8
9 the same thing that stops you from doing this as a developer, nothing,
10 how do I know your patches that you've added with epatch or the sed
11 ones don't do this now? this is stupid, you either trust the devs
12 working on stuff or you don't. you can't have an in between, if you
13 have people working for you that you don't trust you have a huge
14 problem. In fact if the toolchain people wanted they could backdoor
15 something that ssh relies on to build, or use and leave ssh
16 vulnerable, so without a full tree audit it's impossible to know. hell
17 if you could patch all editors on the system to not display a line in
18 a certain file... how long would it take you to find that?
19
20 security is not the issue with binary repositories, please don't
21 discuss security as an issue further, we can implement it well enough.
22 (currently to hack a bunch of gentoo systems all one has to do is take
23 control of a single rsync mirror)
24
25 >> For convenience it would be great, if people could tellportage their
26 >> builder- ID and have portage upload generated packages automatically.
27
28 perhaps it should only be certain packages, you maintain package X
29 it's uploaded when you build, the problem comes to what things have
30 been built against.
33 what I want to know is how you solve the problem of moving toolchain
34 and deps? what if I upgrade glibc on my system? that could totally
35 break all binary compatibility with any package, how are you going to
36 define what version of what deps a package was built against.
37 --
38 Caleb Cushing
39
40 http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com