From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC2012] Interested in Tags support for Portage
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:12:42
1 On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 18:27 +0900, Ryuichi KAWAMATA wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > > As was noted in the wiki, this idea is too small for a complete project
5 > > on it's own. You will need to add more to it in order for it to be
6 > > considered.
7 > I discussed this in gentoo-soc IRC yesterday.
8 > And, I decide to add another idea, "To implement tags support for Portato"
9 >
10 > I know CUI system is very useful because it can use over ssh, and
11 > normally it's lightly.
12 > But, if we need a system which has much information, I think GUI
13 > system is also good.
14 > Therefore, I propose this idea.
15 >
16 > I heard Portato developers are few too.
17 > So, I think this idea can help its developing.
18 >
19 > My goal in this GSoC idea is that;
20 > * To develop tags support for Portage
21 > * To develop tags support for Portato
22 >
23 > If there are some strange points in my plan, would you point it?
24 >
25 > Thanks!
28 The strange part, is that portato is behind in changes to portage, so it
29 no longer works correctly. It has also been asked that we remove it
30 from the tree (by it's creator) for that reason. Rather than that, we
31 would prefer if it was brought up to date. Adding tags support to
32 portato, porthole, or any of the other python based guis would be fairly
33 easy once it was done in portage. I would think it would not take more
34 than a couple days to add tags support to a gui once the code is in
35 operation in portage.
36
37 The best way to keep portato going is to update it's use of portage.
38 One of the best ways to do that is to finish the new public_api and
39 change portato to use it. It at the very least needs the current code
40 updated to the current portage api.