From: Tom Stellard <tstellar@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: kyron@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: GSoc 2009 : Making the cluster LiveCD bootable from USB
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 07:06:11
1 On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'll top-post this one since there are some errors in the LiveCD-Howto (a
3 > mix of two approaches I had). The HOWTO doesn't take clearly into
4 > consideration the fact that there can actually be 2 resulting CDs (normal
5 > and minimal). The process goes as follows:
6 >
7 > A) Build NFSroot Image:
8 >   1,2,3: build stage images
9 >   4: build nfstoot image
10 >      The real PITA here is generally kernel + AuFS related. The package and
11 > kernel cache deletion steps are _required_ between rebuild, otherwise
12 > catalyst uses cached packages and things just won't work. There might be new
13 > features to fix that in newer catalysts.
14 >
15 > B) Build LiveCD
16 >   1,2,3: build stage images selecting the spec files that reflect the
17 > desired end CD (minimal or with desktop). The main difference are some USE
18 > flags, I'm not even sure the differentiation is still relevant.
19 >   4: build livecd-stage1
20 >   5: a) bind-mount the nfsroot image into the livecd's playgournd
21 >       b) build the livecd-stage2 using catalyst.
22 >
23 > The rational behind 5 a) is that the LiveCD is actually built in 5 b) and
24 > pulls in everything that will reside in
25 > /var/git/clustering-livecd/catalyst/livecd/2008.0/overlay/ . This is the way
26 > to include "extra files" in the CD which aren't part of a regular Gentoo
27 > system.
28 >
29 > I'm sorry for the confusion, hope this clarifies the process and answers
30 > your questions.
31 >
32 > Eric
33
34 I rebuilt the CD image using these directions, and it was much easier
35 this time. Although, when I boot the CD it fails to mount the
36 squashfs and it displays this error:
37 mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /newroot/mnt/livecd failed: No such device
38 Have you run into this problem before? I did have to exclude from the
39 live CD some packages that where giving me problems, but now that I am
40 familiar with the build process, I'll go back and see if I can resolve
41 some of those problems. It is possible I left out something
42 important.
43
44 -Tom