From: Gaurish Sharma <contact@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: betelgeuse@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [GSOC 2012] Recruiting Webapp idea
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 21:08:33
1 Dear Gentoo community ,
2 My Name is Gaurish Sharma & I would like to work idea of improving
3 Usability of Recruiting Webapp[1].
4
5 First little about me, I am a student completing my post-grads in
6 Computer applications. I am a polyglot who can dabble C,C++,Java etc
7 as its a requirement of my course(if you disagree, check my course
8 content[2]). However, my main interest & passion is web development &
9 that's the main reason I taught myself ruby & then rails, even though
10 its not part of my course curriculum. so, I am a self taught web dev &
11 I want to work on recruiting Webapp as it aligns perfectly with my
12 interests. Further, my skillset matches the requirements do complete
13 this project. And I want to help linux grow, so want to help. Besides,
14 I am full time Linux convert from past 5years, currently running
15 archlinux which is similar to that of gentoo except arch can have
16 binary packages vs only source packages in gentoo. I know this because
17 have run gentoo in the past & I must tell you its a fine distro :)
18
19 Now,
20 I know its probably late date for application(I came to know about
21 gsoc just today :-( ). so without wasting any further time, I want to
22 ask you about requirements i.e what all work has to be done on
23 Recruiting Webapp.
24
25 From the ideas pag, I was able to gather following requirements
26 1) improved usability:
27 2) updating for Rails 3.0.
28
29 1) Usability:
30 a) As you know, there are major usability problems with the app.
31 example:- answering a question requires 4 separate screens. Select
32 Category -> Select Question -> Click Answer it(small link, hard to
33 miss) -> Create Answer. I think it can be done in just two
34 screens(Category & display question).
35
36 b) the User interface is old, dated & just boring. We need a fresh theme.
37 2) updating to Rails 3.0:
38 Sure, I can do it. Why not update to latest version of rails v3.2.3,
39 any specific reason to stick with 3.0?
40
41 3) Fix Existing Bugs:
42 I looked at bugzilla, and there are plenty of bugs (37 to be exact)
43 that need love[4]. so we can fix those as part of project, if their
44 scope if not too large.
45
46 Now,
47 Please let me know if there are some additional changes required or
48 how changes in current scope are needed. so, that I can modify my
49 rough proposal draft accordingly. Thank you
50
51 Regards,
52 Gaurish Sharma
53 www.gaurishsharma.com