From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:34:04
1 Alright, so I experimented a bit with G-CPAN and read some of its
2 code, and it kind of works as I expected. I also spoke with some
3 paludis devs (including the chief), and they told me that basically a
4 lot of CRAN packages are illegal in some of way. It's usually the
5 version that's got a wrong format, but the metadata files are slightly
6 incorrect in general. If I would get this to work, we will need to
7 file loads of bugs upstream to improve their repo quality. Having
8 spoken with some guys in #R, this seems to be no problem, the CRAN
9 maintainers would love QA improvements.
10
11 I also looked into cran2deb, and it's basically not unlike G-CPAN,
12 except that it directly builds and then generates a .deb file. The
13 magic happens in /R/build.R, all the way at the bottom.
14
15 Another thing. Bioconductor, another source of R packages, uses
16 exactly the same format as CRAN, so if I can get CRAN packages to
17 build, Bioconductor packages will install just as smoothly.
18
19 I guess this sums up my findings, and I don't think I'm really missing
20 any critical information. I would like to hear any further ideas, and
21 would appreciate a mentor, but I guess mentors are usually assigned
22 after the application period, so perhaps I should start writing an
23 application.
24
25 Thanks,
26 tulcod.
27
28 PS: an overview of the quality of packages in CRAN can be found at this link:
29 http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_summary.html
30