From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:28:38
1 On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 14:33 +0100, Auke Booij wrote:
2 > Alright, so I experimented a bit with G-CPAN and read some of its
3 > code, and it kind of works as I expected. I also spoke with some
4 > paludis devs (including the chief), and they told me that basically a
5 > lot of CRAN packages are illegal in some of way.
6
7 With Ruby's gems we are seeing similar problems, to the point that we no
8 longer use the rubygem package manager application but instead wrote our
9 own eclasses to deal with the gems directly. This means more work for
10 the ruby herd, but it does enable us to properly express dependencies
11 and do things like patching and running tests. There is a balance here
12 between extra work and proper quality that depends on the quality of the
13 underlying repository.
14
15 Kind regards,
16