From: Christopher Harvey <chris@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Luis Araujo <araujo@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] ventoo - progress report
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 09:04:11
1 This week I worked on remote editing of remote computers. One of the
2 major goals for ventoo is to be able to edit multiple computers at the
3 same time. Since Ventoo can parse config files into syntax trees it is
4 possible to traverse many of these trees in parallel then display paths
5 in the trees that are the same, and paths that differ, then let the user
6 change all of the at the same time.
7 I wanted to get remote editing working with one other computer, and I
8 was going to use scp to transfer the files back and forth, but it turns
9 out using scp with python is difficult, and any other method would
10 require a few more weeks to integrate properly. One way or another,
11 Ventoo is going to have to be able to access these remote files as if
12 they were local files. To work in this direction I added a feature to
13 ventoo that lets the user pick a root directory to work with and switch
14 it as many times as he/she likes. The ASTs are reparsed every switch and
15 the ui is updated. In the future, when editing multiple computers, the
16 user would have to pick several of these roots, and a future developer
17 would have to display the ASTs intelligently for editing. This week I
18 laid the foundation for that to happen. As of now, the user can switch
19 roots on the local machine, and if a remote root is mounted locally,
20 edit the remote machine as well.