From: darkdefende@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [SOC Ebuild generator project] Introduction and C&C
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:45:59
1 Fabian Groffen writes:
2
3 > How hard do you think it would be to detect that you are actually
4 > dealing with one of those?
5 >
6 That depends on how much the build process differs from the standard way
7 of doing things. And as you said if it does a good job in most cases perhaps
8 that's good enough.
9
10 > Why do you think a user knows?
11 >
12 Hmm, you have a good point there. If they already know then perhaps it would
13 be easier for them to write the ebuild by hand instead.
14 So a generator with minimal user input might be the way to go here.
15
16 > I challenge you to think of a way to unpack a tarball, analyse its
17 > files and then conclude it's aparently a autoconf-based package, so
18 > configure, make and make install will likely be the way to do it.
19 >
20 If you wan't to be my mentor then I'll gladly accept your challenge and
21 look forward working with you!
22
23 > This sounds more like making an example, not a use-case that describes
24 > how your technique should be used, and why it is really useful/much
25 > better than the current way of doing things.
26 >
27 Indeed. Now that I've thought about it perhaps your suggestion is the
28 way to go. :)