From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [SOC Ebuild generator project] Introduction and C&C
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:57:07
1 On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 18:37 +0100, darkdefende@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Fabian Groffen writes:
3 >
4 > > How hard do you think it would be to detect that you are actually
5 > > dealing with one of those?
6 > >
7 > That depends on how much the build process differs from the standard way
8 > of doing things. And as you said if it does a good job in most cases perhaps
9 > that's good enough.
12 I think that most of the standard ways should be easily detected
15 > > Why do you think a user knows?
16
17 That user could be a dev for the app, but may not be a gentoo user.
18 Just helping to create an ebuild to get his/her pkg into gentoo.
19
20 Probably only if it is web based, and gets auto-submitted to a holding
21 area that users/devs can review, download, etc.
24 > Hmm, you have a good point there. If they already know then perhaps it would
25 > be easier for them to write the ebuild by hand instead.
26 > So a generator with minimal user input might be the way to go here.
27 >
28 > > I challenge you to think of a way to unpack a tarball, analyse its
29 > > files and then conclude it's aparently a autoconf-based package, so
30 > > configure, make and make install will likely be the way to do it.
31 > >
32 > If you wan't to be my mentor then I'll gladly accept your challenge and
33 > look forward working with you!
36 Basic ability doesn't sound like much of a challenge to me. What would
37 probably be best (and a challenge) is to have some kind of learning
38 mechanism, that the generator could use to better refine it's detection
39 and solutions. After all there is a whole tree, plus many overlays that
40 can be run through as examples for it to learn from. (yes I know there
41 are many that could/should be improved)
42
43 There is an app called shogun-toolbox http://www.shogun-toolbox.org/
44
45 that is designed specifically for machine learning. It has many
46 interface capabilities including python (which they state has the most
47 complete documentation). There is also many examples for it's use.
48
49 I personally don't know nearly enough about it to know what modeling
50 methods might be suitable or even if there is one suitable for this type
51 of model. But I think should be investigated. Implemented this would
52 have the potential to increase it's success rate over time, reducing
53 developer load even more.
54
55 It is licensed GPL-3
58 > > This sounds more like making an example, not a use-case that describes
59 > > how your technique should be used, and why it is really useful/much
60 > > better than the current way of doing things.
61 > >
62 > Indeed. Now that I've thought about it perhaps your suggestion is the
63 > way to go. :)
66 :) more ideas for thought
67 --
68 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>