From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Adding Portage Features or Wireless Support
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:40:23
1 On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:21 -0400, Colleen Josephson wrote:
2 > I am Colleen Josephson, a second year MIT student interested in
3 > programming for Gentoo's Summer of Code.
4 > I've been a Gentoo user for 4-5 years, and it is my primary operating
5 > system. I have done some larger scale projects
6 > (Audacious plugins, a Python sound synthesizer), and have familiarity
7 > with source control, but I have never developed for the open source
8 > community before.
9 > I am most familiar with Python at this point, but I know some Java and
10 > C and would enjoy working with those languages as well.
11 >
12 > I am potentially interested in the Portage Tags project,
13
14 Well, you could expand it some by also adding it to pkgcore, (adding it
15 to porthole would be easy for me), but you also need to add an api for
16 it in the portage public api. There is also some additional work to add
17 it to some gentoolkit modules.
21 > or something involving improving the wireless support for Gentoo
22 > installs.
23 > Potential expansions to the Portage projects I am considering are
24 > improving the search speed,
25
26 That may be a difficult one to achieve. There have been many
27 improvements used from pkgcore to help speed up portage, but the
28 additional features are consuming the savings again.
31 > and an auto-complete similar to Debian's.
32 > As far as the wireless, I've noticed that the #1 most difficult part
33 > or my last 3 Gentoo installs has been setting up wireless correctly,
34 > and
35 > this difficulty is often a deterrent for trying out Gentoo among my
36 > peers. I know this can be an area of contention because of the number
37 > of closed source drivers, but I think it could be a worthwhile
38 > improvement. Any feedback on this is appreciated.
42 There was a gsoc project last year that involved better wireless support
43 in gentoo. Not necessarily for the install kernel.
44
45 > These ideas are very incomplete, but I look forward to your responses
46 > so I can improve upon them.
47 >
48 > Finally, could somebody point me to a good bug to fix in bugzilla as
49 > per the application guidelines?
50 >
51 > Thanks,
52 > Colleen Josephson
53 > Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
54 > Massachusetts Institute of Technology
55 > Class of 2013
59 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>