From: Colleen Josephson <cjoseph@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Adding Portage Features or Wireless Support
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 01:21:25
1 I am Colleen Josephson, a second year MIT student interested in programming
2 for Gentoo's Summer of Code.
3 I've been a Gentoo user for 4-5 years, and it is my primary operating
4 system. I have done some larger scale projects
5 (Audacious plugins, a Python sound synthesizer), and have familiarity with
6 source control, but I have never developed for the open source community
7 before.
8 I am most familiar with Python at this point, but I know some Java and C and
9 would enjoy working with those languages as well.
10
11 I am potentially interested in the Portage Tags project, or something
12 involving improving the wireless support for Gentoo installs.
13 Potential expansions to the Portage projects I am considering are improving
14 the search speed, and an auto-complete similar to Debian's.
15 As far as the wireless, I've noticed that the #1 most difficult part or my
16 last 3 Gentoo installs has been setting up wireless correctly, and
17 this difficulty is often a deterrent for trying out Gentoo among my peers. I
18 know this can be an area of contention because of the number
19 of closed source drivers, but I think it could be a worthwhile improvement.
20 Any feedback on this is appreciated.
21
22 These ideas are very incomplete, but I look forward to your responses so I
23 can improve upon them.
24
25 Finally, could somebody point me to a good bug to fix in bugzilla as per the
26 application guidelines?
27
28 Thanks,
29 Colleen Josephson
30 Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
31 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
32 Class of 2013