From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Seifert <michael.seifert@×××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - cache sync/self-contained ebuilds
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:44:19
1 On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Michael Seifert
2 <michael.seifert@×××.net> wrote:
3 > Am 23.03.2011 11:12, schrieb Fabian Groffen:
4 >> How much do you lose to fetch the ebuilds you need eventually?
5 >
6 > I cannot tell you at this stage, sorry. The real loss for steps 3/4 has
7 > to be measured after the implementation. The problem with the estimates
8 > here is that the assembled ebuilds also contain the sources and the
9 > eclasses. Maybe I will do some number crunching on a few selected ebuilds.
12 A more critical factor could be the dependencies - unless we otherwise
13 cache them. To install a package you need to walk the dependency tree
14 (well, at least until you hit installed packages with the right USE
15 flags). That requires one set of fetches for each level you traverse,
16 and that means at least one round trip per level.
17
18 Is this a solution in search of a problem? It seems like there are a
19 lot of tradeoffs with an approach like this. If space or compression
20 CPU, etc is the real issue, would it make more sense to just gzip all
21 the ebuilds or something?
22
23 Rich