From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - cache sync/self-contained ebuilds
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:47:24
1 On 14:43 Wed 23 Mar , Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Michael Seifert
3 > <michael.seifert@×××.net> wrote:
4 > > I cannot tell you at this stage, sorry. The real loss for steps 3/4
5 > > has to be measured after the implementation. The problem with the
6 > > estimates here is that the assembled ebuilds also contain the
7 > > sources and the eclasses. Maybe I will do some number crunching on a
8 > > few selected ebuilds.
9 >
10 > A more critical factor could be the dependencies - unless we otherwise
11 > cache them. To install a package you need to walk the dependency tree
12 > (well, at least until you hit installed packages with the right USE
13 > flags). That requires one set of fetches for each level you traverse,
14 > and that means at least one round trip per level.
15
16 Perhaps both of you need to take a quick stroll through the metadata
17 cache (/usr/portage/metadata/cache/) and check out what those files look
18 like. =)
19
20 Here's a description of the format from our Package Manager
21 Specification (PMS):
22
23 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/4/pms.html#x1-16000014
26 Thanks,