From: Vikraman Choudhury <vikraman.choudhury@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Package statistics reporting tool
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:11:43
1 On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Yanbo Wang <wybb86@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all, I'm a student from China. I'm interested in this idea and have
4 > different ideas to share.
5 >
6 > 于 2011-3-29 22:20, Brian Dolbec 写道:
7 >
8 > On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 08:53 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
9 >
10 > On 18:54 Tue 29 Mar , Vikraman wrote:
11 >
12 > I've been doing research on this project for sometime, and would
13 > really like my ideas to be reviewed by the community before
14 > submitting my application.
15 >
16 > * User runs a script as a cronjob (or a portage hook ?), which
17 > collects stats on installed packages, and uploads to the online
18 > database. Surprisingly easy to code using the gentoolkit API.
19 >
20 > :) Thanks, anything else needed in there, just ask.
23 > Sure, one of those two options sounds good. The choice can be easily
24 > changed later, but I prefer the idea of a hook that runs after the
25 > package manager completes installing a package set.
26 >
27 > People on laptops may not run cron jobs regularly, or at all.
28 >
29 > good point.
32 > * Webapp generates statistics on the packages (top packages,
33 > versions, popularity, packages from overlays). Thanks to ideas from
34 > an old thread on the forums. Devs, please suggest some more useful
35 > ideas/stats too.
36 >
37 > For Gentoo users:
38 > - Search by package name
39 > - Search by packages often installed with this one (recommendations)
40 > - Add ratings. Maybe just via the GUI frontend for now.
41 > - Add user reputations and profiles. How many ratings, etc. Provide the
42 > option of logging in as user or anonymously for package uploads.
46 > I think the statistics about relationship between packages is more
47 > important, because if the packages installed together run well and appear
48 > together frequently, we can recommend one package to the user when the
49 > other package is installed. and if the packages installed together usually
50 > crash, there may be some problems between them.
51 > So there can be more types of deep statistics that provide more useful
52 > information.
53 >
54 > Tools for Gentoo developers:
55 > - Least popular packages
56 > - Search by maintainer/herd
57 > - Integrate with Bugzilla by showing # of bugs & linking to the list
58 > - Integrate w/ BZ by showing # of tinderbox-related bugs
59 >
60 > For example, a useful search would be ≤20 users, package assigned to
61 > maintainer-needed or maintainer wanted, and ≥1 open bugs.
64 > * Dev/user runs a cli script to read stats or a gui program to
65 > display graphs.
66 >
67 > I'm looking forward to coding the project in Python, gui using
68 > PyGTK, database using MySQL. For the web service implementation,
69 > should I use SOAP (soappy, which I'll need to learn) or something
70 > like web.py (I've used it earlier) ?
71 >
72 > What is the role of the GUI? Please describe the use cases and justify
73 > why it should be a desktop app rather than a webapp.
74 >
75 > As much of a gui person as I am, I too think a web browser would be
76 > preferred connecting for this. It could also be expanded as the need or
77 > new query type comes up and then becomes available to all without the
78 > need to upgrade.
81 > Consider REST for the web service rather than SOAP. There's a nice book
82 > called "RESTful Web Services" you might like to take a look at.
85 > It was also suggested earlier to allow a dev to trigger a popup
86 > feedback from the user. I think that would require the user ro run a
87 > daemon, which will listen for queries.
88 >
89 > It doesn't necessarily have to be instant. Upon the next installation,
90 > when uploading new stats, the client could check for messages.
91 >
92 > Yes, this was what I was trying to suggest at the time, perhaps I could
93 > have chosen better words :/
96 > Please suggest what details to include and what not to include in
97 > the application.
98 >
99 > Many resources exist on this topic:
100 >
101 > - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/soc/applying.xml
102 > - http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/_v/1.0/writing-a-proposal/
103 > - http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/03/dos-and-donts-of-google-summer-of-code.html
104 >
105 > The informations about installed packages are regularly uploaded to the
106 > online database, but they are usually reduplicate because most of them may
107 > be same. I think each host can be identified by a unique random id that is
108 > used to track submissions issued by the same host. Security is very
109 > important for this project, the host id should be kept secret.
110 >
111 > --
112 > Thanks,
113 > Yanbo Wang
114 >
115 > Yes, smolt handles that by generating a uuid from
116 /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid for the first time and saving it in
117 /etc/smolt/hw-uuid
120 vh4x0r