From: Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, betelgeuse@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Maven integration for Gentoo ebuilds
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:20:50
1 Hi Petteri and devs,
2 I'm Kasun Gajasinghe, a final year undergraduate from University of
3 Moratuwa. I'm interested in contributing to Gentoo under Google Summer of
4 Code 2011 program.
5
6 I've gone through the ideas page, and found the project idea "Maven
7 integration" [0] very interesting, mainly because I have a good background
8 on that area. I've gone through "Quickstart Ebuild Guide" [1] to understand
9 how ebuilding works, and then went through Gentoo java-overlay [2] since
10 it's a suggested approach. It's exciting to see that they are looking for
11 new Java developers! I have already checked out the java-overlay source, and
12 started poking around.
13
14 As I understood, the main goal of the project is generating an ebuild file
15 by parsing maven project file (POM), right? If so, I think it's better if I
16 looked at how the current maven-based projects are integrated to Gentoo.
17 Further, I'd very much appreciate if you can provide me some directives and
18 guide me. Specially, I'm looking for documentation/articles explaining how
19 Maven is currently used in the system, current status of Maven in
20 java-overlay, and documentation to understand how Gentoo Java-Overlay works.
21 Please tell me if I missed something important.
22
23 Further, I welcome any advices that you'd like to give for a beginner Gentoo
24 developer interested in contriuting.
25
26 To justify my ability to complete the project, I thought to provide a brief
27 introduction about my self. I'm a linux-user and Ubuntu has been my default
28 OS for few years now. I've used different flavors including Fedora, and
29 Kubuntu, and I'm now interested in using Gentoo. I am very much competent in
30 Java and Apache Maven and has good experience. I have used Maven for several
31 projects of mine, along with other open sources projects am contributing.
32 Some of the projects are hosted at Google code [3]. I've participated for
33 Google Summer of Code in 2010 under DocBook Open Repository and successfully
34 completed the project [4].
37 [0] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/soc/ideas.xml#doc_chap2_sect20
38 [1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/quickstart/index.html
39 [2] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/