From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Maven integration for Gentoo ebuilds
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:36:08
1 On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 23:50 +0530, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
2 > Hi Petteri and devs,
3 > I'm Kasun Gajasinghe, a final year undergraduate from University of
4 > Moratuwa. I'm interested in contributing to Gentoo under Google Summer
5 > of Code 2011 program.
8 > I've gone through the ideas page, and found the project idea "Maven
9 > integration" [0] very interesting, mainly because I have a good
10 > background on that area. I've gone through "Quickstart Ebuild
11 > Guide" [1] to understand how ebuilding works, and then went through
12 > Gentoo java-overlay [2] since it's a suggested approach. It's exciting
13 > to see that they are looking for new Java developers! I have already
14 > checked out the java-overlay source, and started poking around.
17 > As I understood, the main goal of the project is generating an ebuild
18 > file by parsing maven project file (POM), right? If so, I think it's
19 > better if I looked at how the current maven-based projects are
20 > integrated to Gentoo.
21
22 disclaimer: I know nothing of maven, but...
23
24 hmm, this sounds a lot like it could make use of g-common from last
25 years gsoc. G-common is a universal overlay/ebuild generator for
26 converting one packaging system into gentoo's by using drivers for the
27 format being scanned. I have added g-common repository type into
28 layman-9999. Currently g-common and the g-cran driver is in the science
29 overlay as app-portage/g-cran.
30
31 For more info contact bicatali (project mentor) and/or Auke Booij
32 <auke@××××××.com> the student creator for more detail about it.
35 > Further, I'd very much appreciate if you can provide me some
36 > directives and guide me. Specially, I'm looking for
37 > documentation/articles explaining how Maven is currently used in the
38 > system, current status of Maven in java-overlay, and documentation to
39 > understand how Gentoo Java-Overlay works. Please tell me if I missed
40 > something important.
44 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>