From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GLEP 25 + GLEP 9
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:32:30
1 mmacleod@××××××××××.za wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > I am interested in proposing picking up where GLEP 9 and GLEP 25 left
6 > off and finally getting difference patches for portage distfiles working
7 > properly and implemented in such a way that they can become part of the
8 > official tree.
9 > The proposal would address actual implementation of the above as well as
10 > modifying the various other tools that must use them such as
11 > "distfiles-clean" and portage itself of course.
14 > Would this be worth proposing? I know that I am not the only one who
15 > would be very happy to finally see this make its way properly into Gentoo.
16 > Which source repository should I submit a patch for if I want to propose
17 > this?
18
19 I just re-read the GLEPs. The first thing that comes to my mind is: Is
20 there still a big use case for smaller downloads with the advance of
21 broadband internet? However, I accept that not everyone has alot of
22 bandwidth available to them and ignore my initial reaction ;)
23
24 There is a utility created by Brian Ferring (former Gentoo dev, author
25 of GLEP 25) called dev-util/diffball that is used by infra to create the
26 portage daily snapshot patches.
27 http://distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/deltas/
28
29 Can you elaborate on where you envision this idea going? and perhaps
30 some implementation (high level) details that you are interested in
31 pursuing?
32
33 Thanks,
34 Jeremy