From: Devan Franchini <oot153@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2013: Improved Gentoo cloud support
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 22:28:33
1 Hello fellow GSoC'ers!
2
3 My name is Devan Franchini, I'm a student at D'youville college,
4 in Buffalo NY, where I am working on getting my bachelors degree in
5 Information Technology under the study of Anthony Basile. I would like
6 to work on the suggested project of improving Gentoo cloud support.
7 This will require things such as adding support for creating AWS
8 images for Gentoo into catalyst. In order to do that I'll need to
9 learn to work with tools such as veewee and Vagrant, to allow building
10 a pristine build of Gentoo which can then be distributed as AWS
11 images. Once this is accomplished I can then implement that process
12 into catalyst. This is useful because once this is implemented you can
13 create images of Gentoo that can distributed through the cloud.
14
15 About me:
16 ========
17
18 I'm from Tampa Florida but I have spent most of my childhood and
19 life in Buffalo, NY where I am now. I love learning about the awesome
20 things you can do with computers and the capabilities of finding new
21 things, and fixing old ones. To me, knowledge is king and the most
22 important thing. So when I have an experience where I can learn
23 something I find interesting I typically have tunnel vision until I
24 accomplish my goal. I am familiar with Java, python, and C; as well as
25 some x86_64 and MIPS assembly. During my spare time I usually try and
26 get something productive done such as bug fixes on the webapp-config
27 package that Gentoo uses or writing ebuilds for packages that I use
28 that aren't on the portage tree, such as Dolphin Emulator. The
29 webapp-config program is used to set up web applications on Gentoo
30 systems using portage and Dolphin Emulator is a gamecube and Wii
31 emulator. This will be my second proposal for Google Summer of Code.
32 My previous one was the SELinux Policy Originator that I worked on
33 under the guidance of Sven Vermeulen. During my last GSoC I immersed
34 myself in the world of Gentoo Linux. I was unfamiliar with the entire
35 OS and how it worked; or how to even install it. Since then I have
36 learned a lot about Gentoo and plan on working to become a Gentoo
37 developer.
38
39 Contact information:
40 ===============
41
42 Email: twitch153@×××××××.com
43
44 IRC: NICK: twitch153, and I am typically in #gentoo-hardened and #gentoo-soc
45
46 Phone Number: (716)605-3049*
47
48 Address:
49
50 38 East End Avenue
51
52 Buffalo, NY, 14225
53
54 *Please only use this as a last resort method when you need to get in
55 contact with me.