From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2013: Improved Gentoo cloud support
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 00:11:19
1 On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Devan Franchini <oot153@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My name is Devan Franchini, I'm a student at D'youville college,
3 > in Buffalo NY, where I am working on getting my bachelors degree in
4 > Information Technology under the study of Anthony Basile. I would like
5 > to work on the suggested project of improving Gentoo cloud support.
6 > This will require things such as adding support for creating AWS
7 > images for Gentoo into catalyst. In order to do that I'll need to
8 > learn to work with tools such as veewee and Vagrant, to allow building
9 > a pristine build of Gentoo which can then be distributed as AWS
10 > images. Once this is accomplished I can then implement that process
11 > into catalyst. This is useful because once this is implemented you can
12 > create images of Gentoo that can distributed through the cloud.
13
14 I think a catalyst-based approach would be cleaner, but feel free to
15 make use of the AWS bootstrap scripts at:
16 https://github.com/rich0/rich0-gentoo-bootstrap - branch rich0-changes.
17
18 The original scripts are by Eric Dowd, and I've been tweaking them to
19 make them a bit more flexible (he's merged back a number of these
20 changes). I'll warn you that they're a bit prone to failure depending
21 on the state of the tree, but for the most part these are only
22 failures that any unfortunate soul trying to install Gentoo for the
23 first time would run into. Old stage3s tend to be the biggest source
24 of problems, and integrating this into catalyst would fix that.
25
26 Rich