From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 03:09:39
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >> It can be not so tiny, surely busybox+openrc gives a better gain in many
5 >> cases.
8 > I suspect that it will depend greatly on what services you're running,
9 > and what order they happen to start in, and what you care about. In
10 > theory slamming the kernel with a ton of processes will allow it to
11 > manage its queues better with a fuller understanding of demand.
12 > systemd can potentially short-cut this a bit further since it can
13 > consider a dependency resolved if nothing more than a socket is
14 > created, which is a clever trick (I have no idea how well it works out
15 > in practice, though I have used a .socket service once and that worked
16 > out fine (with the caveat that the first connection fails)).
17
18 Yeah, this is a brilliant idea.
19
20 A side question, what is the percentage of the dependencies that is
21 merely a socket?
22
23 > Where I saw the bigger performance difference between openrc and
24 > systemd was in shutdown. Systemd shuts down REALLY fast, and I've
25 > noticed it tends to actually kill ssh sessions rather than leaving
26 > them unresponsive (plus ssh dies even faster so that makes it seem
27 > subjectively faster - but the difference in full shutdown is still
28 > real). Obviously people don't care as much about shutdown
29 > performance, but on a laptop (where supposedly event-driven inits
30 > should shine) I know that waiting for a full shutdown before packing
31 > up can be painful at least in the land of Windows.
32
33 Yeah, that is a problem. We've got to learn from systemd here. Not sure
34 of the mechanism yet.
35
36 > Just food for thought - it seems odd that parallel startup should have
37 > any issues at all, provided that service scripts don't terminate until
38 > the service is functional and all dependencies are specified. If
39 > either of those aren't true then you'll have race conditions.
40
41 OpenRC doesn't have protection against weak (in the sense of use /
42 order) circular dependencies. I guess that is the source of this
43 problem.
44
45 Cheers,
46 Benda