From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:17:06
1 On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:04:26 +0900, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> It can be not so tiny, surely busybox+openrc gives a better gain in
7 >>> many
8 >>> cases.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> I suspect that it will depend greatly on what services you're
12 >> running,
13 >> and what order they happen to start in, and what you care about. In
14 >> theory slamming the kernel with a ton of processes will allow it to
15 >> manage its queues better with a fuller understanding of demand.
16 >> systemd can potentially short-cut this a bit further since it can
17 >> consider a dependency resolved if nothing more than a socket is
18 >> created, which is a clever trick (I have no idea how well it works
19 >> out
20 >> in practice, though I have used a .socket service once and that
21 >> worked
22 >> out fine (with the caveat that the first connection fails)).
23 >
24 > Yeah, this is a brilliant idea.
25
26 just as a side note, when I was doing performance latency testing (for
27 industrial robotics applications) on real-time Linux kernels (RTAI, soft
28 real-time preempt, and hard real-time preempt) I noticed that I got
29 better latencies when when I loaded up the system with a LOT of
30 processes and workload. If you end up looking into the RT stuff, let me
31 know off list and maybe I can send a link or six.
32
33 EBo --