From: "Александр Берсенев" <bay@×××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Auto dependency builder. Need some thoughts before start to code.
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 19:40:59
1 Hello,
2
3 I am doing auto dependency builder project for GSoC 2011. Here is the
4 description of my project:
5 http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/bay/25001 .
6 In short words, I intent to analyse the files accessed during package
7 building to generate a list of dependencies. Also I want to block
8 access to files that not belong to dependency packages to check
9 fullness of the dependency list .
10
11 Unfortunately, my mentor has not answered on my questions I sent two
12 weeks ago. Also, I got some emails from people trying to find him. I
13 hope he will appear but I should start to code on May, 23 and I need
14 some advise for starting from experienced developers because I will be
15 feel myself uncomfortable writing a code without it.
16
17 I plan to start coding with writing a tool on C for launching a
18 program and logging its file access events to the log file. The format
19 of log file record: seconds from launch, type of event, name of the
20 file, and all parent processes.
21
22 I want to try the this file logging approach first: to modify
23 LD_PRELOAD environment var of each child process and catch library
24 calls. If it will be not good I plan to try another approaches,
25 described in my proposal. Also I like using the clone of root
26 filesystem mounted through FUSE for logging.
27
28 After that I plan to write a tool on python that launch a logging tool
29 on C and parse logfile of it.
30
31 I have some questions for starting:
32 - Should I use a tool on C and parse logfile of it or write a logging
33 python module instead?
34 - Which logging and file access blocking approach do you think is the best?
35 - Does it make sense to log file read/write offsets?
36
37 I plan to address other questions to my mentor if I reach him.
38
39 Best,
40 Alexander Bersenev