From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [SOC Ebuild generator project] Introduction and C&C
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:46:03
1 On 23:34 Tue 22 Mar , Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 18:49 +0100, darkdefende@×××××.com wrote:
3 > > Brian Dolbec writes:
4 > > > Absolutely. But I wanted to get the thought out there. Then
5 > > > maybe this years code could be designed to be easier to upgrade
6 > > > it's AI next year.
7 > >
8 > > I have never written anything related to AI code generation before
9 > > so I don't really know how I would design the code to be easily
10 > > modified to support this. If there any easy rules to follow or do I
11 > > have know how it works on a very advanced level?
12 >
13 > Neither have I. Nor do I even pretend to know anything about
14 > implementing this type of thing. But for the purpose of your
15 > proposal, don't worry about it. I intend to find out more about it.
16 > As I find out the info needed. I'll make it known. At that point it
17 > can be decided if a slight change to the design is warranted.
18
19 I have some knowledge about machine learning (ML), particularly as it
20 relates to dimensionality reduction and clustering but also some other
21 areas.
22
23 Essentially the idea would be to come up with a training set and a test
24 set, both with known answers, using ebuilds that are already written.
25 You "train" your ML tool on the training set to learn how source code
26 and/or build tools relate to ebuild syntax and dependencies, then "test"
27 it on the test set to see whether it learned things correctly. Iterate
28 by fiddling around with settings until things actually work; when they
29 do, you have a complete backend.
30
31 The complexity of that approach is why I suggest a simpler one that
32 relies on defining the format of various files, since we already know
33 what autotools syntax looks like, what ebuild syntax looks like, what C
34 source code looks like, etc. ML approaches are more useful when you
35 don't know the connection between inputs and outputs, but we do. On the
36 ebuild side of this syntax-based approach, there would be some potential
37 integration to another of our ongoing GSoC projects, libbash.
40 Thanks,
41 Donnie
42
43 Donnie Berkholz