From: Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Maven integration for Gentoo ebuilds
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:12:46
1 On 29 Mar 2011, at 09:37, Serkan Kaba <serkan@g.o> wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 29-03-2011 06:47, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
7 >> I'd like to know how the dependencies will be handled by maven based
8 >> ebuilds. Can you let me know the difference between dependencies
9 >> specified in Maven's POM file, and ebuild's dependencies? Are both
10 >> should be same? Since, Maven's POM contains the unique artifacts IDs
11 >> (with the combination of groupId, artifactId, version) which points
13 >> a _binary_ jar, how should the developers who write _ebuilds_ specify
14 >> it? I got to know that dependencies are also ebuilds under gentoo
15 >> i.e.
16 >> no binaries.
17 > POM dependencies can be too restrictive sometimes, like depending on a
18 > specific version. We should be depending on any version (or sometimes
19 > with >=,<=) as long as the package compiles and runs fine with it.
20
21 I've come across a package called JPackage which does the job of
22 retrieving a jar from /usr/share/java and return it to use by maven.
23 It neglects the version numbers as well.
26 >> I've been going through the Ralph's (nick: sera ) suggested eclass
27 >> [1]. It turned out to be very useful. (sera, I got your name from
28 >> [1],
29 >> hope it's correct! :) ). Because maven offline building is the
30 >> biggest
31 >> issue Gentoo is currently facing, As Petteri suggested, I've been
32 >> going through to see how other distributions handle this. I see that
33 >> both in sera's eclass and in Debian's MavenRepoSpec [2], that they
34 >> specify a variable which points to a maven local-repository location.
35 >> Ralph's eclass specified MAVEN_REPO_DIR="${T}/maven-repo/" while
36 >> Debian has REPO=/usr/share/maven-repo. Since the file-system will be
37 >> read-only for ebuilds, and ebuilds should be built offline, what's
38 >> the
39 >> purpose of this?
40 > We then still need to add symlinks to jars during build time in there
41 > which is an "access violation" in sand box
42
43 Ok. Then the viable option is to have to generate the maven directory
44 structure inside a folder named ${T}/maven-repo. We can do the
45 symlinking through that, and we won't face any access violation since
46 the writing happens in the sandbox.
47 Ubuntu too have proposed a similar solution. I'm away from my machine,
48 I'll provide the links to it as well as for the JPackage soon if it
49 you all may want to check it out!
50
51 Thanks,
52 Kasun