From: Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Maven integration for Gentoo ebuilds
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 06:08:41
1 On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On 29 Mar 2011, at 09:37, Serkan Kaba <serkan@g.o> wrote:
5 >
7 >> Hash: SHA1
8 >>
9 >> On 29-03-2011 06:47, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>> I'd like to know how the dependencies will be handled by maven based
12 >>> ebuilds. Can you let me know the difference between dependencies
13 >>> specified in Maven's POM file, and ebuild's dependencies? Are both
14 >>> should be same? Since, Maven's POM contains the unique artifacts IDs
15 >>> (with the combination of groupId, artifactId, version) which points to
16 >>> a _binary_ jar, how should the developers who write _ebuilds_ specify
17 >>> it? I got to know that dependencies are also ebuilds under gentoo i.e.
18 >>> no binaries.
19 >>
20 >> POM dependencies can be too restrictive sometimes, like depending on a
21 >> specific version. We should be depending on any version (or sometimes
22 >> with >=,<=) as long as the package compiles and runs fine with it.
23 >
24 > I've come across a package called JPackage which does the job of retrieving
25 > a jar from /usr/share/java and return it to use by maven. It neglects the
26 > version numbers as well.
29 >>> I've been going through the Ralph's (nick: sera ) suggested eclass
30 >>> [1]. It turned out to be very useful. (sera, I got your name from [1],
31 >>> hope it's correct! :) ). Because maven offline building is the biggest
32 >>> issue Gentoo is currently facing, As Petteri suggested, I've been
33 >>> going through to see how other distributions handle this. I see that
34 >>> both in sera's eclass and in Debian's MavenRepoSpec [2], that they
35 >>> specify a variable which points to a maven local-repository location.
36 >>> Ralph's eclass specified MAVEN_REPO_DIR="${T}/maven-repo/" while
37 >>> Debian has REPO=/usr/share/maven-repo. Since the file-system will be
38 >>> read-only for ebuilds, and ebuilds should be built offline, what's the
39 >>> purpose of this?
40 >>
41 >> We then still need to add symlinks to jars during build time in there
42 >> which is an "access violation" in sand box
43 >
44 > Ok. Then the viable option is to have to generate the maven directory
45 > structure inside a folder named ${T}/maven-repo. We can do the symlinking
46 > through that, and we won't face any access violation since the writing
47 > happens in the sandbox.
48 > Ubuntu too have proposed a similar solution. I'm away from my machine, I'll
49 > provide the links to it as well as for the JPackage soon if it you all may
50 > want to check it out!
51
52 For the JPackage see [1]. [1] doesn't give a formatted output though.
53 Properly formatted version is to [2]
54 Ubuntu's maven support specification is at [3].
55
56 I've started writing a proposal. I'll upload it to melange, when it
57 comes to a good state.
58
59 [1] http://www.jpackage.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/jpackage/src/jpackage-utils/doc/jpackage-1.5-policy.xhtml?revision=1.2&view=markup
60 [2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4783109/gentoo-maven-integration/read/%5Bjpackage%5D%20Contents%20of%20%20src%20jpackage-utils%20doc%20jpackage-1.5-policy.html