From: "Sérgio Almeida" <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Universal select tool: I'm a bit curious
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:55:59
1 On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't think C is a necessity (even though it has my preference), and
4 > might interfere with some requirements, as Donnie already pointed out.
7 Yes, C was just an example. The reason is that I am more familiar with
8 C than with any other language, but I'm sure that the implementation
9 can be done in any language and modules can be implemented in any way
10 and language independent. Tool asks, module tells, tool acts.
13 > In this approach, would it be possible to just use the (existing) vdb?
14 > Tools like portage-utils show that you can search through its contents
15 > quickly enough not to even require an index actually.  And if the
16 > package manager is involved anyway, it can simply write those extra bits
17 > you need in the vdb as well, as separate entries.
20 I guess there is no need to search throughout hundreds of packages
21 when you can maintain your own (managed by portage) module db with all
22 necessary information. This solves our performance problems and is
23 easier to manage and to avoid conflicts.
24
25 > Big question would be, what.  Like, how would a thing like gcc-config or
26 > binutils-config be implemented like that.  How would be the management
27 > of different versions of the scripts that handle the actual switching
28 > and stuff.
31 "That" is not a very different implementation than what it is right
32 now. All config utilities share the same method (/etc/env.d) for
33 global configuration right? This is the part we would want to see
34 united with per-user support. Every specific stuff in such xyz-config
35 utilities that for some reason can't be done in a module can still
36 have it's own separate configuration, even though I doubt that
37 anything more than a module is needed.
38
39 All these q&a got me into thinking, and actually brought new ideas to
40 this project.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Sérgio